31 January 2008

Pain

I am struggling with pain. In my legs. I don't know why. I've had chronic pain for several years, but this is different. Usually, I feel like my skin is bruised, tender, sensitive to the touch. That has become normal for me. But, a little over a week ago, I woke up and had trouble walking because my ankles and legs were sore. Mostly my left leg.

I had acupuncture. I thought it would help. The acupuncturist said I should keep my foot elevated, ice it, take some ibuprofen. Baby it for a couple of days and it would feel better. The swelling would go down and I'd be good as new. But, a couple of days later, I still could not walk. And it was getting worse. My ankle was swollen and I was limping. I left work early and went to the doctor.

My good doctor checked my ankle, asked me some questions. He sent me for an x-ray to rule out a fracture. Told me to elevate it, ice it, take ibuprofen. The results came back...some swelling, but no fracture. That was good news. This pain should clear up.

But, yesterday it was worse. I started having pain in the other leg too. When I walk, sharp pains shoot up my legs from my ankles. When I sit, my legs feel prickly and hot. Like when the feeling starts to come back after they fall asleep, only they haven't been asleep. I started feeling the stabbing pain even when I wasn't walking. In both legs.

I emailed my doctor to say it was getting worse. I couldn't walk at all. It was too painful. He gave me a prescription for vicadin because 9 ibuprofen a day wasn't working. He sent me for bloodwork.

I'm home today because it's too painful to walk to work. And when I'm at work, I can't walk around the office. I work the front desk. A large part of my job is moving around the office.

I don't understand what's happening. I thought my legs were hurting because I'd over-exercised, but I don't think that's it. Please send me your prayers. I want to know what's wrong and I want to walk normally again. I've been taking my legs for granted. Sorry legs. I love you. You are beautiful.


1 comment:

Live Through the Lens said...

yikes! hey lady, i hope your legs get better soon. medical mysteries are always such strain on the brain.

the good news is i finally sent the traveling journal your way! so you should be getting a pretty package in the next week.

big hug to you...
Judy